By Loren Lindler and Denver Cameron Jernigan
Pecans are a staple in Georgia, but they prove to be a hot commodity in homes across the nation when it comes to Thanksgiving dinner. Pecan pie remains a favorite among many, but the Georgia Grown Donaldson Dining Hall at Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College recreated this festive treat for students to enjoy year-round.
The Donaldson Dining Hall was proud to share this beloved recipe so that you and your family can enjoy it at home this holiday season. As you and your family gather around the table, bask in the thanks given and see why students are so thankful for this sweet treat.
1 ¼ cups packed brown sugar
2 sticks of butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 lb. Georgia Grown pecan pieces
½ box yellow cake mix
½ stick butter
1. Boil sugar and butter together
2. Add cream and bring to a boil
3. Add pecan pieces and cool mixture in fridge until 41°F
4. Add eggs to mixture and mix well
5. Mix melted butter with yellow cake mix to make crumb topping
6. Put pie filling in sprayed 9x13 glass baking dish and top with crumbs
7. Bake at 325°F for 25-30 mins or until golden brown
As you pull your pean cobbler out of the oven and serve it up, we recommend topping it with a dollop of vanilla ice cream for a special touch. Enjoy!